Friday, January 13, 2012

Mushroom Stew - Hungarian

We love mushroom stew over polenta or mashed potatoes. So easy to make and super cheap, you have to try it. You can make it without sour cream, but I think that the sour cream makes the sauce super creamy and tasty. This is a hungarian recipe my mom used to make a lot.

Anita B - all rights reservedIngredients:
2 lb mushrooms, sliced
1 large onion
2 large tomatoes, chopped
2 teaspoon paprika
4 tablespoon oil
2-3 cloves garlic
1 cup sour cream
salt
black pepper
2 tablespoon flour
chopped parsley

Directions:
Pour oil into a large pan and sautee onions on a low heat until soft and translucent.
Add paprika and chopped tomatoes and stir well.
Add the mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes.
Season with salt and black pepper and than cover the mushrooms with water.
Cook on low heat with cover for about 30 minutes.
In a small bowl mix the flour with a little water, until smooth, add the sour cream and mix well.
Pour the mixture into the mushroom stew, add the crushed garlic and cook for a few minutes.
Taste and adjust the seasonings.
Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve with mashed potatoes and meat, or with polenta.

Tags: Mushroom Stew, hungarian Mushroom Stew recipe, Mushroom Stew recipe, gombaporkolt recipe, tocanita de ciuperci recipe, tejfolos gombaporkolt recipe


5 comments:

  1. gr8 recipe of creamy stew
    1st time here do visit happy to follow u

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful stew, Thank You for sharing .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anita, this sounds so delicious. We are mushroom lovers at our house, so this will be a great addition to our meal plan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Polenta and anything with sour cream added = deliciousness. Your profile doesn't say, but I assume your family comes from Hungary. I love the flavors of Hungary, especially paprika. It's one of my favorite spices. Thanks for visiting my blog! Debby

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very similar to the recipe I have learned from my Hungarian mom. I cooked it today again but I did not have tomatoes nor parsley this time so I added instead a bit of mustard and paprika paste (Piros Arany from Hungary). I also added a pinch of thyme, about ½ tsp marjoram, two bay leaves and a shot of Chablis. I cooked Hungarian gnocchi (nokedli) for side dish. My American family loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcomed and appreciated!
Thanks for visiting.