Sunday, September 23, 2012

Hungarian Chicken Soup

OK. I promised you my Hungarian chicken soup recipe.  This is my mom's recipe. I think every family has its own recipe.

Growing up my family used food as a way to share stories, memories and love. Even now, when I eat certain foods I feel like I am that little girl sitting at the table with my brother and my paretnts. It is such a great feeling. 

In winter this was the soup I wanted. Nothing beats the winter chill like a steaming bowl of chicken soup.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 lb Stewing Hen (Mature Chicken)
5 quarts water
1 onion, unpeeled
3-4 cloves garlic
3 large carrots
3 parsley roots
1 small celery root
1 small kohlrabi
 small savoy cabbage
1 green pepper
1 teaspoon peppercorns
1 tbsp salt

 
Directions:
Fill up your stock pot with water (about 5 qt).  Just make sure there's enough room to add all of the ingredients.
Cut up the hen and place cleaned pieces into the cold water (I used chicken breast and neck). Add salt, peppercorns and bring to a simmer.
Don't let it boil. If you want a nice and clear soup you need to simmer it not to boil it. Skim foam from top with a spoon as soon as it appears. Let it simmer for about 1 hour.
Meanwhile clean the vegetables and cut them in large pieces.
Add all the vegetables and continue to simmer for another 2 hours on the lowest heat.
Adjust the seasoning, add chicken bulion if wanted to enhace the flavor.
 
Remove the meat and carrots into a bowl and strain the soup through a fine sieve. The soup should be clear and golden. Semolina dumplings, thin noodles or small dumplings are also added to the soup.
 
Serve soup hot with fresh ground pepper.
 


Notes:
An unpeeled yellow onion will make the soup golden.
Never boil the soup, just simmer. Don't put a lid on the pot, cook it uncovered.
Cook the dumplings or noodles in water and add it to the soup. If you cook them in the soup, you will end up with cloudy soup.

 Tags: hungarian chicken soup recipe with pictures, clear chicken soup recipe, hungarian soup recipe, hungarian recipes, chicken soup recipes, husleves recipe, csirke leves recipe

3 comments:

Your comments are welcomed and appreciated!
Thanks for visiting.