Sunday, October 30, 2011

Semolina Dumplings - Griz Galuska

One of my readers, Andrea asked me to put this recipe on the blog. This is how I make semolina flour dumplings for hungarian chicken soup. They are super fluffy and easy to make. This is the "formula":  make sure you use 4 tablespoon of semolina per 1 large egg (not medium or jumbo). You can cook them in the soup, my mother cooks the dumplings in simmering water and when they are done she transfer them to the soup. It's up to you. Good luck


Ingredients:

1 large egg
4 tablespoons semolina flour
a pinch of salt






 

Directions:

Bring water to a boil in a large pot.

 

Beat egg with salt in a bowl.

 
Add the semolina flour all at once and mix well. The mixture should be thick (like sour cream).
Let it rest for about 15 minutes. The semolina flour will absorb the egg.

 
Turn the heat to low. Using a teaspoon form dumplings and put them in the simmering water.
Don’t overcrowd. Cover with lid and cook dumplings on medium heat for about 5 minutes, flip them on the other side, put the lid back and cook for another 5-10 minutes, depending on the size of the dumplings.
Turn off heat and let them stay in the hot water for 10 more minutes.

 
Add cooked dumplings to the soup.
 
 
 
Note:
I don’t like to cook the dumplings in the soup because they will absorb the soup.
Some recipes call for butter, or oil, or you have to beat egg whites and then add the rest of the ingredients.
Use 1 large + 4 tablespoon of semolina to achieve the right consistency. Use measuring spoon.
You can measure the eggs and the semolina flour, so for a 70-75 g egg add about 50 g semolina.


Tags: semolina dumplings for Hungarian chicken soup recipe, semolina dumpling recipe, grizgaluska recipe

10 comments:

  1. looks interesting n delicious!!yummy!!
    Thanx for dropping by my space and following:-)
    Glad to follow you too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious! Who doesn't love a dumpling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Anita,

    Thank you so much for posting this recipe.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea I hope you will make the dumplings (griz galuska). This is how my mom makes them and it's a succes every time (the secret is to let the mixture sit for about 15 minutes before cooking). Good luck. Anita

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'll try these tonight-they sound much lighter than the usual ones I make.
    Also-please please please post the Hungarian Chicken soup recipe you mentioned. Pretty please?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Momghoti, I think you will love the dumplings, they are light and fluffy, one of my childhood favorites. I will make the chicken soup this weekend and I will post it. Thank you for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have made them,,,olyan finom volt !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh I am so happy you liked them. You made my day. For me the griz galuska is the way back to my childhood. If you ask me what is the food that brings me back to childhood .... well this is one of them. I am like a little kid when I eat chicken soup with dumplings. It makes me a happy happy girl. Thank you for trusting my recipes and for the sweet comments.

      Delete

Your comments are welcomed and appreciated!
Thanks for visiting.